Useful tips to know when growing fruit trees!

Down below are useful tips I have learned from growing fruit trees, dealing with spider mites, and using pesticides:

Fastest growing fruit trees are the pomegranate and avocado trees. 
 


Slowest growing fruit trees are the citrus and date trees. 






Citrus trees need a lot of light from grow lights or a sunny window to stay healthy if grown indoors. If citrus trees don't get enough light they will hardly grow at all and they can also get spider mites easily.


Date trees suffer from spider mites, but it is really easy to get rid of spider mites off their leaves. One nice thing about date trees is they don't really suffer from fungi too much.

The roots of date trees need to be watered thoroughly or they might die. When I first began growing date trees, I lost about 6 of them because I wasn't watering their roots thoroughly. This doesn't just go for date trees, but for all fruit trees too. 

What I mean by watering their roots thoroughly is to water the soil until it has all become wet everywhere. Make sure water drips out of the holes at the bottom of the pot too, because that means the water has gotten everywhere in the soil where roots might be located.



Easiest fruit tree to grow is the pomegranate tree because they grow really fast in a short amount of time. They also germinate easily. They do have an issue of losing a lot of leaves during the winter though. I still haven't figured out how to re grow those lost leaves yet.
Pomegranate trees get spider mites and fungi on their leaves, so they will need fungicide and pesticide on their leaves. 
Their leaves will also turn yellow and fall off during fall time, so it could be their way of getting ready for winter.

The most difficult tree to grow is the cherry tree. I have germinated so many cherry trees and have lost so many of them because they died easily from fungi, from being a weak tree to begin with, or from spider mites. I only have an older cherry tree right now because I have put a lot of work in to helping it grow, so cherry trees are a lot of work to grow from seed.




Apple trees get a lot of powdery fungi on their leaves and their leaves turn a bronze color from fungi and spider mites too, so they need a lot of fungicide and pesticide throughout the year.





The apricot tree loses its leaves really easily when spider mites get to it and when pesticide is sprayed on its leaves. My apricot has been able to regrow new leaves soon afterwards though.


Using store bought basic insecticidal soap seems to be the best option to use on my apricot tree and all of my other trees.

The spider mites I have now are really hard to get rid of. They seem to grow greater in numbers after I spray pesticide, and so I have resorted to washing the leaves of the fruit trees first before spraying them with insecticidal soap afterwards which I think helps a lot.

Peach trees get spider mites really easily, and so they need a lot of pesticide through out the year. They also get fungi too, so they need fungicide. They usually start out with one main branch and then grow more branches on that main branch.



When I plant an avocado tree in the soil after I have grown its root in a cup with water, I keep the seed sides on top of the dirt instead of buried in the dirt because if the seed sides are in the dirt, they will mold easily which in the end causes the whole avocado tree to die. Avocado trees are very sensitive to the cold too, and so keeping them inside during cold months will keep them happy. They also do well when receiving lots of light from natural light or from a grow light. 
Avocado trees get spider mites too. They also get a bug or worm that eats their leaves, so it is a good idea to spray pesticide on their leaves. They also suffer from fungicide. I have learned though that when an avocado tree is young and first starting out to grow leaves, some of its leaves will become brown and fall off. I think this is normal, because this is what has happened to my own avocado trees and they always grew new healthy leaves afterwards.

Pear trees have issues like the apple trees, so they need to be sprayed for fungi and spider mites through out the year.


At the beginning, I started out with 5 or 6 plum trees and now I have 3. 
If the roots of a plum tree grow very skinny, short, and small, the plum tree will have a harder time staying healthy and might even die. 
Plum trees, when healthy, grow really fast with multiple branches. They also grow lots of leaves on their branches too.
Plum trees get spider mites easily, and so they need to be sprayed through out the year. I have also washed their leaves with water to help reduce the population of spider mites.
I don't remember spraying them for fungi too much. 



Last tip: 
During the winter when the weather is freezing the leaves of fruit trees will die easily if they are taken outside for spraying or replanting.




Thank you for reading!!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 new honey mesquite trees!

Update on 6 honey mesquite trees!

Update on avocado, apple, pear, and apricot fruit trees and heirloom plum melons.